Thursday, July 03, 2008

Hunger pangs

I'm at work right now. And while there are deadlines threatening to devour me, I'm also really hungry. I ran through the options in my head - there's a nice food court nearby that I usually love. But what I feel like eating right now is an entire experience:

Greasy street-side chowmein. Served on just-washed steel plates to be eaten with tin forks that jar your ears when they strike metal. A white non-absorbent paper napkin with fading red borders - offered just because the dhaba is trying hard. Balancing plate while resting gingerly against a parked scooter or car. The spice making your eyes water just a little bit. People jostling past you in a busy market area. You balance all your shopping bags in one hand - slinging them through to your wrist so that the same hand can also hold your plate. The other shovels fat noodles into your mouth. Orange carrots stray from your fork and withered cabbage sticks resolutely to the plate bottom.

This was not good therapy. I am even hungrier now.

While I can just walk across to the food court anytime I want, there are millions who have no such option - and Aunty G just shared a great idea to help them. I can't believe it is so simple and yet a genuine way to help. Try it.

13 comments:

Diligent Candy said...

Nice link. Thx.

Lazyani said...

Bumped into your posts from Sucharitas blog. Loved them.
Your post reminded me of my road food days during the start of my career as a salesman in Kolkata. Till date , inspite of the upcoming new restaurants in Kolkata, the roadside food in places like BBD Bag, Dacres Lane and Camac Street remains my favourite-- for sheer variety and taste!!
Thanks for reviving the memories.

dipali said...

You evoked Kolkata's street chow so well! (Though the only time I've had roadside Chinese was in Mumbai, decades ago). The fat noodles sound yum! Hope you did eat something. The link was great, too!

Thinking Cramps said...

DC: Remember Chachas?

Lazyani: Have never had much streetfood in Cal but have heard plenty of people drooling over these venues! Thanks for commenting :) And, who's Sucharita? Must thank her for directing people here!

Dipali: Yes I did - but it was a chicken sandwich taken from home :( Yes, the link is great na?

Unknown said...

Roadside noodles - yum . You seem to have a bad case of roadfooditis . Come to Cal - I'll take you hogging .
Good to see a post from you- AG should be happy.

Thinking Cramps said...

Eve's Lungs: Cal is anyway about overeating! See you Pujo time - I hope!

Dr. Manoshi Bhattacharya said...

hi, keep reading your posts every now and then. The Bong in you comes through so strongly...

Thinking Cramps said...

Dr M: Thanks. Must tell my husband that! I would love to know what gives you that impression, specially since I get teased as a probashi!

iz said...

Why does work make one feel hungry
? Happens to me just when I'm busiest!

Thinking Cramps said...

Iz: I think in the case of an eater like me, it's just my stomach getting resentful that the brain cells are getting all the action!

Anonymous said...

Dear, sweet TC || 'Hunger Pangs' was peppy || Am glad you did ink || The freerice.com link || THAT sure is good therapy!
Love and hugs:-)aunty g.

The Weekend Blogger said...

Welcome back !! Interesting post ...and realised that I must make the most of Kolkata's famous street food before I move out else a few months down the line, sitting in Delhi I'll be feeling rather sorry for myself just like you !

P.S.

This was a truly evocative description of the famous 'chine chorchori" of Kolkata !!

Anonymous said...

Anu-dear, can't get to freerice.com from your "Try it". Has anyone else told you? Perhaps you could downloan one of their logos for more success? Love and hugs:-)Aunty G.