Thursday, March 03, 2011

The March of Time

1993. 2004. 2007. 2011.

Leaving home this morning to return to Mumbai, I went through the usual ritual of touching feet, hugging, and bowing before photos of the dead.

And it struck me, that what began in 1993 as the lightning-quick, unexpected loss of a grandparent, ended last Sunday, with the gradual decline and demise of my grandmother. Fewer feet to touch, more prayers to send into the unknown. One by one, all four of my grandparents have moved to make their homes in photographs. Ever-smiling, healthy and eternal.

I can make my peace with that.

4 comments:

dipali said...

Ever-smiling, healthy and eternal.

Lovely to remember them like that!!!
Yes, as we grow older, so many vacant spaces:(

Unknown said...

D'you know I have no feet left touch except BRG's ? All the feet have marched on into infinity and to think at one time I used to get so fed up .

Thinking Cramps said...

Eve's Lungs: "Marched on into infinity..." - I like that.

Thanks for those words, Dipali. You totally understand what I mean.

Nagaraj said...

Misty eyed. After a long time !