Wednesday, March 16, 2005

A Poem by Someone Else


I know, I know, this is cheating. I shouldn't fill up my blog with stuff written by others. If it's any justification, I waited till I actually added a self-written piece before putting in this one as well. I just had to, you see. There is this one poem from a long time back that I have always loved. It's by Joyce Kilmer. A copy of it was always kept in the folder where I kept my writings, in the good old days before we started saving soft copies of our stuff and ran the risk of losing everything to a hard drive crash! So I decided, if I’m storing some of my writings online, the poem has to be there too.
Posted here with admiration and respect for the poet, and my apologies too, in case some words/lines aren’t exactly where they are supposed to be!
I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast.
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray.
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair.
Against whose bosom snow has lain
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me
But only God can make a tree.

No comments: